She's Here!

She's Here!
Elizabeth Blake 5lbs 14oz. 9-14-12

Sunday, November 4, 2012

7th Week Heaven


It’s been 7 weeks since Carson and I officially became parents…believe me, it still scares the beJesus out of us. The first few weeks are complete survival mode and all about making “Little Izzy” happy!  It also seems that a lot of my friends are either trying to get pregnant, are pregnant or have a newborn/infant…which is the idea behind this blog post. I have compiled a list of must-haves and other helpful items I’ve used to help make this thing called Mommyhood more enjoyable.  No need to work harder when you can work smarter! I encourage my other Mom/Dad friends to add to this list or give opinions! New Mom’s or expecting?  You’ll read all of this and say to yourself, “OMG! OVERLOAD!”  I did the same thing to every other info blog, but I figure, if you use one of these items or heed some of our advice, I’ve helped out. Also, you will figure out what works for you! It has taken us 7 weeks to start feeling comfortable in our new roles and routine…but be flexible…it constantly changes. It’s fun, emotional, scary and down-right nasty at times… just remember… your parents did all of this for you, and they survived, we will too! J

Kelsey & Carson’s SURVIVAL ITEMS:


1     1. A & D Ointment
I owe this one to my Mom and Sister. This bottom barrier cream makes life better…bottom line (no pun intended) if you don’t use this on your baby’s bum, you’ll be scraping dirty bits off their sensitive parts and then most likely get tinkled on and or really tick off your tot. Use it…ALL over their bottom…Poopy doesn’t stay still.
 



2. ITZBEEN Pocket Nanny…
Tovah Robertson…you’re a saint. This nifty little gadget keeps us on a schedule. I found that lack of sleep caused poor memory and I couldn’t tell you when the last feeding began or how long it took. The Pocket Nanny has 4 timers…diapers, feeding, sleepzzZ and a bonus…I used it for pumping. It also has a breast feeding function switch. This little bad boy blinks when it’s time to eat again….Carson and I constantly say, “WHERE’S the TIMER!? What’s the timer say!?” Our life depends on it J and so does Izzy's!


3    3.  MammaRoo… 
The amazing modern swing. It has 5 different settings, Car ride, ocean wave, kangaroo, tree swing, -6 speeds and corresponding sounds and an adaptable iPhone connector. Izzy has BAD reflux, which means after a feeding, she cannot lay flat for 40-60 minutes without spitting up and being in immense pain….The MommaRoo is an angled, baby soother…. I want a Roo for myself. Perfect for when Mommy needs a shower!
4.       

     4. Boppy…
You’ve probably heard about this, but it’s great! You wear it around your waist or in lap to help hold the baby. I found it is useful for pics or tummy time! Belle really likes laying on it too...For that I am thankful I have multiple covers to change out and wash.. I have found I can feed her without it, but when I’m tired or my arm is tapped out, I use it. Great for grandparents and tummy time too!

5.     \5.Swaddle Wraps-Aden + Anais….
My favorite baby item & Life saver. Thin, but warm enough and easy to do a proper swaddle. I’ll post a link to a helpful video…also the nurses will show you in hospital…or you’ll figure it out! J These can also transform into a MommySling!

6.      6. Wubbanub Infant Pacifier
Binkeys… (Soothee)
At first I swore my little one would STRICTLY breast feed and NOT have a binky for 3 months…whatever. You gotta do what ya gotta do. The pediatrician put it perfect, “ We do things to soothe ourselves, twirl hair, bite cheek, twiddle thumbs etc. and babies need soothers too!” Trust me. We like these because they are easy for Izzy to “hold” and don’t fall as easily. Oh and get two at least…always need a back up!


7.  Pampers Swaddlers Diapers vs. Huggies…(Pampers)
I may be stepping on some toes here but I have met a Huggie I like yet. So far, the Pampers have been winners for us. Izzy was in Premie diapers when she came home…didn’t graduate to Newborn until 3-4 weeks old. Every single Huggie, no matter the size fit her awkwardly…plus she had many accidents. The Pampers.Fit.Perfect. Plus they have this awesome color changing indicator…yellow= dry….green means = GO CHANGE ME! J

 8.Dr. Brown Bottles vs. Tommee Tippee….(Dr.Brown)

Okay if you’re “strictly breastfeeding,” don’t assume you need to skip this one. Be prepared for the day your child will need a bottle, or maybe that Bfeeding won’t work all the time. If you plan on returning to work, and won’t have access to your child, you WILL need some stocked bottles they like. It takes time figuring out what sweet baby likes, what you like etc. We love the Dr. Brown’s and I’ll just go ahead and say it, “I absolutely despise the Tommee Tippee bottles.” Why? Nipples collapse, bottles leak, she takes in more air…air = gas= fussiness=no sleep. The caps jam and makes for a frustrating middle of the night feeding… only good thing? The writing on the bottle is in black and easy to read.  Dr. Brown’s have lots of parts and are a pain to clean, but trust me, worth it.
     9.Medela Sanitizing Bags…(Medela)  
One of the greatest inventions since DVR… 5 bags to a package and each bag can be used 20 times. You wash bottles, accessories, pacifiers etc, toss them in the bag with water (read directions for amount) and nuke in the microwave…in under 3:00 minutes, the contents are sterilized. Love these!

   



10.Vibrating/Music Playing bassinet or play yard… (Chicco)
Her bassinet in our bedroom is a loan from my sister and it plays music and vibrates. We also use her play yard (featured above,) that has a bassinet feature. Izzy especially loves the nature noises and mobile of wild animals! Extra perk- it converts into a play yard  as she gets older!

Like I said before, you can take or leave this list! There are hundreds of other products we haven’t used yet, that may be just as good, if not better.  This is just what we have needed to make it through our first 7 weeks. Trust me, you’ll get  more advice  from everyone you know (wanted to not)…regardless, go with your gut,  remember that trial and error will happen, and try to take in every moment!
I have already packed up some of Elizabeth’s clothes since she’s growing so fast… I have to fight back tears every time. 

I will try to update more often…but Izzy is sleeping at the moment, and that means it’s time for me to sleep too! J

2 comments:

  1. You hit the nail right on the head in my opinion. All of these I had except for the pocket nanny. I would add to the list a video monitor. I cannot live without mine. It helps me to not be so anxious when Summer is sleeping. I also think a pappason (sp?) style swing is great. Summer LOVED hers. I feel a Jumperoo is necessary once they get a little older. Summer had a Wubbanub and it was a lifesaver. You can stick it in the car seat hook and it'll stay there. No more looking for the fallen paci. This was a lifesaver in the car.

    And you are right on .. Sleep when she sleeps !! You're doing great. She is so precious !! She'll be 15 months before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl!!
    We have one,but haven't needed it yet since she is still in our room! Good to know you love it! So true with the binky and we are starting to look at Jumperoo type toys! Can't believe she's almost 2 months...your little Summer is adorable!! I wish we could freeze time!!!

    ReplyDelete